Saturday 23 May 2020

Keeping it clean

Working in Reception is a laugh a minute.  

At the end of free flow in the morning the children tidy up and then come to the carpet...mainly so that I can check I've not lost any of them.  

They're all there, little expectant faces turned up, and I notice one of my little girls has something in her mouth.  I look a bit closer and she's clearly very engaged, turning it this way and that with her tongue.  I ask if she's got something in her mouth and she pulls out a snail! I ask her why she's sucking it...in retrospect I know this wasn't the most urgent thing to be done...she replies that she's washing it.  I ask her to go and pop it outside at which point she then removes a handful more from her pocket, beautifully clean, and asks if they have to go out too. We put the snails out, wash her hands, encourage her to rinse her mouth and seek advice.

At the end of school I chat to mum and tell her what has happened and she replied "oh yes, she used to do that all the time. I thought she'd moved onto worms now though!"



No comments:

Post a Comment